Monday, July 4, 2011

Red, White, and Grey.

They always say the third day after surgery is the hardest one during recovery.

Studying in Germany is not surgery, but today has been the hardest.

Imagine a day in November in Mississippi. Everything is gray. Everyone is somber. There is a cold wind that embraces you with such ferocity that you squint your eyes and turn your back to it.

Now imagine, that you are wearing a thin cardigan, jeans, and toms.

That was my life today. Plus, no store being open and no internet and no phone. And you cannot get your internet in your room to work.

To prepare for this trip, I asked the others what every aspect for Osnabruck was like. The weather, the people, the food, etc.. etc…

They were so helpful and I highly appreciate. However, apparently, what they had last year, was a heat wave. Also, the weather is very bipolar in Germany according to the locals.

I can handle bipolar weather. I am from the ‘sippi. What I cannot handle is the fact that I only packed for haawwt weather.

Needless to say, TOURIST and IDIOT is printed on my head when Germans see me. It could be worse though. The boys are wearing shorts. I have not seen shorts since the Memphis airport (there was one dude in Amsterdam with them, but they were more like manpris. Two totally separate things.)

Other than that, today was old-fashioned relaxation. And by old-fashioned I mean, I slept a lot and conversed with people a lot.

I would have to say that is my favorite thing so far. I sit around and shoot the breeze with Yumi from South Africa. His real name is something crazy. It has clucks in it! It sounds like this: Ki-cluck with your tongue from the roof of your mouth to the bottom of your mouth-ah-mo. His nickname is Yums/ Yumi after his ridiculous middle name.

I have done several activities with foreign students through Ole miss and Hoby. I have socialized with a lot of different people.

But I think, due to the hideous weather, the lack of any distractions, and I do mean any, all we can do is sit around or walk around and talk. And talk. And tell stories.

His life in South Africa is completely unreal yet so familiar to ours at the same time. He is also hilarious and knows so much about America. He is a huge Dwayne Wade and LeBron James fan. He knows all about College Football. And he stayed up til 3:00 just to watch the super bowl.

My South Africa knowledge? World Cup, Nelson Mandela, Charlize Theron, that movie where Morgan Freeman played Mandela, and Oprah’s school for girls. And then just random stuff that the Ole Miss students taught me. He goes to Nelson Mandela University actually and knows all about Ole Miss as well since our schools are partners.

Pretty much I have the American syndrome. Stickin to mah own business.

I feel..ignorant.

Funny how on the eve of my country’s Independence day, I feel so patriotic (due to me being out of the country for the first time and getting to see how the other side lives) and so …thirsty for something else? A broader horizon?

All I know is, I am so eager to learn about other languages and cultures more so now that ever before.

I am giddy to learn German.

I cannot wait to go to school tomorrow.

And that my friends is a first.

Things I did today:

-walked to Uno Pizzeria where they spoke 0% English. I did sign language. Pointed to my cheese pizza. Walked away with ham and pineapple. It happens. BY THE WAY-German Diet Coke is so much better than American. It is called Coca Cola light and tastes like a not so sweet Coke.

-finally figured out the bus system.

-ate one of the only restaurants open. Got some great pasta. The waitress loved us because the boys tipped. They do not know do that in Germany and you should have seen the look on her face.

-lots and lots of talks.

-lots and lots of sleep.

-lots and lots of dreaming about when I can check my email, post on this here lil blogger, and realizing how dependent I am on technology.

.

2 comments:

  1. Loved reading your update!! Happy American Independence Day!..But I'm so glad you're learning new and exciting things! Like which country has the best diet coke haha.

    I'm assuming your South African friend speaks "isiXhosa" (Language with clicks). I taught my leetle Sunflower students common greetings in isiXhosa! They love it! When you see him next, say "molo boo-ti." It means "hello boy."

    Isn't it lucky that you're not only learning about German culture, but African culture, too? And probably other countries as well. What a brilliant experience.

    Can't wait to see you in the fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get a sweatshirt,socks and long sleeve T's. Have a good time and besafe. Claudia alike the ice cream there (of course she would)!

    ReplyDelete